Sickness Certificates

Self Certificates

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may ask you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

If you are under the care of a consultant, and need a sickness certificate because of a recent admission or operation, you should ask your consultant for your note. Consultants can give sick notes exactly like GPs can.

A professionals 'Fit note'

If you need a 'fit note' (the new name for a Sick note , or Med3) please complete an on-line query form (CLICK HERE). This will come through to our staff who can deal with it quickly. Please give us as much information as possible.

If you are unwell for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them medical evidence of your illness.

A medical certificate, (now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted.

Sickness Certificates

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist.

The 'fit note' was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer's support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced)

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website